Job Description – Sea Cider Associate
Reporting To: Manager
Direct Reports: n/a
FTE: Highly seasonal
Compensation: Mix of base wage, gratuities and commission
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Sea Cider produces several styles of cider – from traditional to innovative – which consistently win awards. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another; and we are tenacious in our efforts to produce exceptional cider. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability – Providing outstanding customer service!
Sea Cider Associates have the opportunity to work in a number of different areas of the company, from serving customers in Sea Cider’s Tasting Room to serving guests during events such as wedding receptions, selling cider at farmers markets, and representing Sea Cider at off-site marketing events.
In all areas, Sea Cider Associates ‘go the extra mile’ in all interactions with the public. Customer satisfaction is paramount.
Sea Cider Associates undergo comprehensive training so that they can perform the following tasks successfully:
In the Tasting Room:
Greeting and seating guests
- Preparing food and drink orders
- Guiding guests around the Ciderhouse and explaining our ciders
- Bussing tables, washing dishes, cleaning equipment and facilities
- Carrying cases of cider and restocking shelves
- Taking reservations, hosting tour groups, speaking to groups about Sea Cider
- Processing orders, taking payments, handling cash
- Carrying out all Opening Procedures and Closing Procedures
- Setting up and taking down event spaces and equipment
- Bartending and serving beverages
- Cleaning event spaces and equipment
- Supporting other vendors on site with their work (caterers, decorators, etc)
- Assisting guests as requests
At Farmer’s Markets and Off-Site Marketing Events:
- Setting up and taking down booths, including lifting and transferring cases of cider to and from Sea Cider to markets and events
- Explaining our ciders to customers
- Providing samples to customers and selling bottles of cider
- Processing payments, keeping records of transactions, handling cash and managing market inventory
- Acting as a Sea Cider brand ambassador in all interactions with the public
Sea Cider Associates are positive, service-oriented people with proven track records in exceptional customer service in the food & beverage industry. In addition, the position requires:
- Education: Post secondary degree, diploma or certification preferred
- Work experience in a service role: At least one year
- Industry experience: Preference given to food and beverage, hospitality, events
- Stakeholder relationships: demonstrated success in teamwork
- Communication skills, both written and oral: strong
- Software experience: experience using a variety of programs and apps
- A gift for customer service, resolving customer complaints successfully, and avoiding complaints in the first place
- Personal aptitude: a self-starter with a high degree of initiative. Excellent time management. The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in what is at times a high pressure, fast-paced environment. A willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback.
- Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve
- Available to work May through October
- Foodsafe certification (level 1)
- Serving It Right certification
- For farmer’s markets: a valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle which can securely store/transport cases of cider and booth equipment
Sound like you? E-mail resumes & cover letters through to our Service Manager, Suzanne Goligher.