Position Description: Farm and Operations Assistant (Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative)
Farm and Operations Assistant (Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative)
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
The Farm & Operations Assistant helps to ensure that Sea Cider Farm follows environmentally responsible practices and comprises a healthy organic orchard, forest and gardens that supply bountiful harvests of the right ingredients. The Farm & Operations Assistant is a member of the Operations Team and helps with meeting departmental and overall business goals.
As per the Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative, this position is focused on environmentally beneficial projects and management practices at Sea Cider Farm, including:
- organic methods to improve weed and nutrient management in the orchard,
- removal of invasive plant species from the farm’s forest to improve agr-forestry harvesting opportunities,
- Compost management, dust control and other environmentally beneficial farm practices
- installing and maintaining xiroscaping and irrigation-efficient vegetable, berry and herb gardens
This is a hands on position with a focus on farm work but with the opportunity to engage in other aspects of Operations (supply chain, cidermaking, packaging, facilities, etc). Farm work is labour-intensive and includes mowing, weeding, mulching, pruning, thinning, harvesting, planting etc. Some equipment use is required, such as operating a tractor, forklift and weed eater. Organic certification is of primary importance at Sea Cider, and as such the position will assist with farm record-keeping and must follow organic-compliant Standard Operating Procedures and Policies. At times, the Farm & Operations Assistant may be asked to represent Sea Cider at promotional events and conduct site tours for media and customers, or engage in other activities that supports other Sea Cider departments when requested.
This position is available to someone 15 to 30 years old, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, under the Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative, to work at Sea Cider for one year. It could become a permanent position for the right person, with opportunities for training and advancement within the company.
In addition, the position requires a physically fit, enthusiastic hands-on worker who is excited by the opportunity to work for a community-minded yet growth-oriented farm-based business, plus the following:
- Education: Post secondary degrees and/or certifications preferred
- Work experience in similar role: At least one year
- Work experience in this industry: preferred
- Communication skills, both written and oral: very good
- Software experience: some familiarity with relevant programs
- Personal aptitude: a high degree of professionalism, initiative, and personal accountability. Excellent time management and coordination skills. The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. The ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback from colleagues
- Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings, to meet the needs of the business
- An openness to learning how to operate a forklift and other production equipment, and the ability to manually lift up to 25 kg. Must hold a valid driver’s licence
- A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a covering letter to Kathy Neeves no later than Sunday, August 6th, 2017, email@example.com
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.