Job Posting: Cider Operations Technician
Job Title: Cider Operations Technician
Reports To: Operations Manager
Date: Sept 30, 2015
The Sea Cider team has built a company culture that embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from each other. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, cooperative, service-oriented approach to everyone.
- earnestness, transparency, integrity and honesty.
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As a Sea Cider team member you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
As a member of the Operations Team, this position undertakes day to day activities that support departmental and overall business goals. As directed by the Operations Manager, this position assists in all areas of Sea Cider’s Operations – from cidermaking, orcharding, pressing and packaging to equipment & facility maintenance and supply chain coordination.
Participates in any/all of the following:
- Pressing – apple washing, grinding, removing pomace, etc.
- Cidermaking – racking, filtering, blending, chapitalizing, testing, etc.
- Packaging – bottle filling, capping, labeling, casing, pasteurizing, etc.
- Orcharding – pruning, mulching, thinning, weeding, irrigating, disease control, pest control, harvesting, composting, etc.
- Landscaping – mowing, weeding, keeping grounds safe and presentable
- Equipment & facilities maintenance – assisting with preventive maintenance and repairs
- Supply chain coordination – processes order deliveries and returns, completes stock transfer requests, maintains inventory records, conducts inventory counts, keeps inventory organized, assists with supply purchasing, etc.
Organic Compliance – Assists with organic compliance record keeping and reporting.
Information management – Collects operations data. Reports data against performance metrics. Keeps timely and accurate operations records.
Planning and analysis – Assists the Operations Manager as needed in preparing departmental plans and ROI analyses.
Standard Operating Procedures & Policies – works in compliance with these as well as with Sea Cider’s organic certification and safety requirements. Assists with improving policies and standard operating procedures when requested.
Staff Supervising – oversees Production Assistants as needed to ensure that direct reports are executing their functions successfully and per Standard Operating Procedures.
Project Management – As directed by the Operations Manager, acts as Project Manager on new Operations initiatives when requested.
Public Relations – when required, represents Sea Cider at promotional events. Conducts site tours for media and customers on occasion; performs public relations as required.
Supports management, the Operations Team and other Sea Cider divisions when requested.
Knowledge & Skills Required
This is a physically active position with some supervisory responsibilities and some technical skills required. We are seeking a hands-on problem solver who loves daily physical labour, working outdoors in all weather, and pitching in to help colleagues. Others describe you as a conscientious individual who works well with others and who is constantly seeking challenges and ways of doing things better. In addition, the position requires:
- A minimum of five years of operational experience in winemaking, cidermaking, brewing, orcharding, farming, horticulture, landscaping, facility & equipment maintenance or manufacturing
- Experience supervising staff, leading teams and managing projects
- Superior skills using database and spreadsheet software
- A proven track record of successful problem solving
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- A proven ability to foster positive internal and external relationships
- A high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability
- The ability to work well under pressure, and to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven success in fostering positive change as well as a continuous improvement mindset. A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve
- A willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings to meet business needs
- Familiarity with Canada’s National Organic Standards
- Skills with drafting and autocad tools
- Experience operating forklifts, tractors, and other manufacturing or farming machinery
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a small, young, rapidly growing farm destination and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create positive cider memories and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to over 20 employees with annual cider production approaching 10,000 cases and growing. Cider wholesales span Western Canada and the US. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for weddings and corporate events.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org