Job Position: Farmers Market Supervisor
|Job Title||Market Supervisor|
|Reporting To||Sales & Marketing Manager|
|Direct Reports||Supervising up to 4 other Market|
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high-quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year-round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a paycheque.
Sea Cider is looking for an accountable and professional Market Supervisor to join our rapidly growing team. TheMarket Supervisor coordinates the Sea Cider farmers market program under the direction of the Sales & Marketing Manager. This position arranges plans for farmers markets, attends farmers markets and other off-site sales events to sell cider, trains and supervises Sea Cider’s team of Market Associates, conducts tastings, and represents Sea Cider at public events.
As a candidate for this position, your excellent interpersonal skills make you an approachable and outgoing sales professional. These skills are coupled with an organized and thoughtful approach to attending and managing off-site sales events. By executing the program, the Market Supervisor is instrumental in all aspects of Sea Cider’s representation at farmers markets and other special events.
- Arranges checklists and plans for seasonal Farmers Markets
- Helps develop farmers market identity and stall set-up
- Procures market supplies and promotional items
- Helps train and organize other market staff
- Applies for Farmers Markets
- Communicates with Farmers Market organizers directly
- Travels to farmers markets in the Greater Victoria up to five days a week.
- Is responsible for all transport and set-up of the Sea Cider stall, processing and brokering transactions, sampling products, managing cash on-site, etc
- Keeps cash-out and sales records safe, neat and tidy.
- Creates off-site sales event plans in keeping with Sea Cider’s policies, standard operating procedures and gross margin goals
- Completes inventory and bottle counts for markets attended
- Ensures that Sea Cider’s team of Market Associates follows Sea Cider’s Standard Operating Procedures and represent Sea Cider in a friendly and courteous way at all times
- Assists with scheduling Market Associates
- Acts as a Service Supervisor in the tasting room and at private events when required
Knowledge & Skills Required
Positive and sincerely friendly customer service are key components of Sea Cider’s brand. Our customers, colleagues and suppliers expect this from us; it is a fundamental value by which we conduct ourselves. The Market Supervisor must fulfill this customer service expectation in all their interactions. Other knowledge and skills required are as follows:
- Post-secondary degrees and/or certifications: A valid Serving it Right certificate and food safety certificate are mandatory
- Work experience in similar role: At least two years in sales and/or food and beverage service
- Work experience in this industry: preferred
- HR skills: minimum 2 years of experience supervising others
- Event experience: preferred
- Financial skills: Experience with cash out and cash handling procedures
- Communication skills, both written and oral: excellent. A proven ability to build and maintain positive and effective internal and external relationships.
- Software experience: some familiarity with word processing, accounting, spreadsheet and database software. A willingness to upgrade skills
- Personal aptitude: a high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability for completing work assigned. Excellent time management skills. The ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously. The ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback from colleagues.
- Workweek flexibility: A willingness to work weekends and evenings
- Physical ability: Able to safely and repeatedly lift/move 20 kg multiple times daily. The physical ability not only to set up heavy stall equipment (eg tent, table, signs) but to create attractive displays/stalls that reflect the Sea Cider brand
- Transportation requirements: must hold a valid driver’s license, and have access to a secure vehicle for transporting products and stall equipment
- An openness to learning new skills and a desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve
How to Apply
If the above sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you! Please email your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to our Sales & Marketing Manager, Mike Pepperdine, by April 15th, 2018.