Job Posting: Cidermaking Assistant
Job Title: Cidermaking Assistant
Supervised by: Operations Manager
Direct Reports: N/A
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the founder’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
● be a profitable family-owned farm
● provide high quality cider and positive experiences to its customers
● provide a safe and fulfilling work environment to its staff
● operate as a community-minded, value-driven business
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Sea Cider produces several styles of cider – from traditional to innovative – which consistently win awards. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another; and we are tenacious in our efforts to consistently produce award-winning cider. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
● a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
● transparency, integrity and honesty; and
● a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team, you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
Cidermakering Assistants are accountable for daily cidermaking activities and providing support to the production team. They produce high quality products, follow safe work practices, and contribute to continuous improvement.
Activities include but are not limited to:
● Cidermaking: Perform fermentation, clarifying, chapitalizing, blending, filtering, chilling, carbonating, testing, cleaning and sanitization, and other activities related to cidermaking
● Product Quality: Test and record product quality, immediately raise any quality issues
● Information Management: Record cider and tank room data. Keep timely and accurate records. Ensures records are kept confidential
● Health & Safety: Maintain a safe work environment and immediately report any safety issues
● Standard Operating Procedures & Policies: Work in compliance with these and Sea Cider’s organic certification.
● Continuous Improvement: Identify and contribute to improving procedures
● Equipment Maintenance: Identify equipment issues, assist with repairs as requested
● Public Relations: When required
● Operations Support: Participate in packaging, maintenance, orcharding, farmwork and other operations activities as required
● General Support: Supports management and other Sea Cider divisions
This position is suited to someone relatively new to a Production role that is keen to grow their skills and experience. It requires a hands-on problem solver who loves physical labour, working outdoors and pitching in to help colleagues. Others describe you as a conscientious individual who has a positive outlook and a keen desire to learn. In addition, the position requires:
● Education: High school or post secondary
● Work experience in similar role: training will be provided
● Work experience in this industry: training will be provided
● Communication skills, both written and oral: good
● Personal aptitude: a high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability for completing work assigned. The ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback.
● Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings, to meet the needs of the business
● A valid Class 5 driver’s license
● The ability to operate or learn how to operate a forklift and other production equipment
● The physical strength to safely and manually lift up to 25 kg daily
● A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve
Sound like you? Qualified applicants are encouraged to to send a cover letter and resume to our Production Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). Good luck!