Position Description – Event Sales Specialist
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The cider house is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
Specifically, the Event Sales Specialist’s focus is to sell Sea Cider events. More broadly, s/he is responsible for the “event pipeline” up until the event, from managing leads and booking clients to event coordination and administration up to the point of handover to the Event Service Specialist, which is generally within days of the event. The Event Sales Specialist helps to ensure that events at Sea Cider are successful from both the clients’ perspective and Sea Cider’s perspective. S/he works under the direction of the Sales Manager and in cooperation with the Event Service Specialist and Service Manager.
Event Sales: Pursuing event leads; i.e., responding to inbound inquiries as well as prospecting potential event clients. Signing event clients and meeting monthly sales targets by event type (weddings, corporate, workshops, etc),
Pre-Event Coordination: Managing the post-booking phase of event coordination until the “handover” to the Event Service Specialist just prior to the event. Meeting regularly with Sea Cider’s Sales Manager and Service Manager to review event sales and coordination issues, relaying any client issues for follow up as needed. Communicating with clients to finalize event details and entering all event information into Sea Cider’s information management systems, including signed contracts, signed Terms and Conditions, and client-specific itineraries, rehearsal information (for weddings), floor plans, vendor and logistics information, invoices, payments, etc. Emailing the client to introduce the client to the ES Coordinator and arranging a rehearsal time/dayte. Attending the rehearsal and/or a face to face handover meeting with the client and Sea Cider’s Event Service Specialist. Making sure that the Event Service Coordinator has comprehensive event plans for each client to ensure a smooth handover of information and responsibility.
Event Marketing: Providing marketing material to potential clients. Attending networking events that could generate event sales. Attending Sea Cider public events several times per year to connect with guests and potential event clients. Acting as a Sea Cider Brand Ambassador.
Event Business Development: Providing market intelligence and client feedback to management to further develop Sea Cider’s event sales channel. Informing Sea Cider of any opportunities to promote Sea Cider’s event channel. Discussing special cases before committing Sea Cider to hosting an event, understanding that management may decline event requests outside of Sea Cider’s Event Terms and Conditions, Good Neighbour Policy, etc when it is felt that an event will negatively impact regular business and/or management does not feel that a prospective client’s expectations can be met.
This position requires an experienced sales professional with exceptional planning, communication and customer service skills. S/he is a positive self-starter with an impressive track record in sales, customer service and event planning who is excited by the opportunity to work for a community-minded yet growth-oriented company. In addition, the position requires:
- Education: Post secondary degree and/or diploma/certification preferred
- Work experience in a similar role: At least three years
- Work experience in this industry: preferred
- A gift for customer service and a proven track record in problem solving, resolving customer complaints successfully, and avoiding complaints in the first place!
- HR management: no experience necessary, but a willingness to learn and implement best practices in team building and team communications
- Stakeholder relationships: a proven ability to build and maintain positive and effective internal and external relationships
- Communication skills, both written and oral: exceptional
- Software experience: some familiarity, and a willingness to learn new programs and new skills
- Personal aptitude: a high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability for meeting company goals. Excellent time management and coordination skills. The ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously. The ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback.
- Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, to ensure that event inquiries will be responded to 7 days/week within a few hours.
- A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence with a resume plus a covering letter that includes compensation expectations and describes exactly how you meet each of the requirements listed in the complete job description. Please email this information to our Sales Manager, Cameron Duke, no later than Sunday, May 19th, email@example.com.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for consideration will be contacted.