Job Posting – Operations Manager
Ever been to a Ciderhouse? You’re in for a treat! Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was born from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high-quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
The Operations Manager is a key member of Sea Cider’s leadership team and directly impacts the growth and success of the company. Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
Areas of oversight include Supply Chain, Order Fulfillment, Cider Making, Packaging, Facilities, Equipment Maintenance, Information Technology and the Farm. S/he reports to the Owner and has five to ten direct reports.
Department management – The Operations Manager is accountable for meeting Departmental targets and managing all activities, resources and personnel in the Operations Department.
Process planning and improvement – The Operations Manager leads improvements in operations strategy, process design, Standard Operating Procedures, quality management, facilities planning, production planning, information sharing and inventory control. S/he drives initiatives that contribute to long-term operational excellence.
Business planning and analysis – The Operations Manager collaborates with the Owner and other members of the Management Team in both strategic and tactical planning to ensure that Operations support Sales & Marketing, Service, Finance and overall corporate goals. Business planning is data-driven, and the Operations Manager ensures that Operations data is collected, tabulated, shared and analyzed against performance metrics.
Public Relations – on occasion, the Operations Manager represents Sea Cider at promotional events, conducts site tours for media and customers, attends Sea Cider’s open houses, and performs other public relations activities.
This position requires an experienced professional with an exceptional track record as an operations leader who is excited by the opportunity to work for a community-minded yet growth-oriented company. In addition, the position requires:
- Education: Post secondary degrees and/or certifications
- Work experience in similar role: minimum five years
- Work experience in this industry: preferred
- Leadership experience: minimum five years
- Operations Management approaches: Proven success in guiding process improvements and a continuous improvement mindset. Experience with “root cause analysis”, “kaizen”, MRP, etc
- HR management: experience recruiting, supervising, training, evaluating staff performance and providing effective feedback
- Stakeholder relationships: demonstrated success in problem-solving, collaborating and team building. A proven ability to build and maintain positive and effective internal and external relationships
- Communication skills, both written and oral: exceptional
- Software experience: extensive, using a variety of programs
- Financial management skills: some experience preparing departmental budgets, reporting variances, ROI analysis, payroll reviews, etc
- Personal aptitude: a high degree of personal accountability. Excellent time management and coordination skills. The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback from colleagues. Confidence interacting with employees at all levels of the organization
- Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings, to meet the needs of the business
- An openness to learning how to operate a forklift and other production equipment, and the ability to manually lift up to 25 kg.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence with a resume plus a covering letter that includes salary expectations and clearly describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position. Please email this information to Kathy Neeves no later than Sunday, August 6th, 2017, firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.